Did you get a message that your card expired? No need to get a new one!
Call or email any local JMRL branch to get your account renewed.
Types of JMRL library cards available
General Cards policy
- For most JMRL cards,* patrons may check out up to 75 items at a time, and up to 10 DVDs.
- Materials check out for 3 weeks, with the exception of 7-day loan bestsellers and museum passes, which circulate for 1 week.
- With the exception of bestsellers, items may be renewed twice as long as there are no holds.
*-Postcard Registration cards may only check out 1 item until the patron's address has been verified. With the exception of bestsellers, items checked out to Teacher Cards are checked out for 6 weeks, with no renewal.
For cardholders ages 0-17 years old
- Does not accrue overdue fines or late renewal fines for items.
- Cardholder parent/guardian will be charged for lost or damaged items
For cardholders ages 18+ years old
- Books and museum passes are .25 cents per day late.
- DVDs, audio books, and Bestsellers are .50 cents per day late.
All educators who work in public, private, and preschool programs linked to non-profit organizations or schools are eligible for a teacher card (daycare employees will not be eligible for teacher cards). Teacher cards must be renewed annually.
- Educators who work in a school within the JMRL service area are eligible, even if they live outside the service area
- Homeschooling educators teaching in JMRL's service area are eligible as well
- Items can be checked out for 6 weeks
- No renewals
- No overdue fines or late renewal fines on items checked out to teacher cards, but items will be billed if they are not returned. Teachers are responsible for keeping their accounts in good standing.
To sign up, bring your school badge or other documentation to any JMRL branch. Homeschooling educators should bring a "Notice of Intent to Homeschool" when signing up for their Teacher Card, and present it to staff.
Out of Area (OA) Cards
Patrons who live outside of JMRL service areas (Charlottesville city and the counties of Albemarle, Greene, Louisa, and Nelson), but wish to check out materials are eligible for an OA card.
- A $30 annual fee applies.
In-House Use Cards
In-House Use cards may be issued to any patron living in the United States.
- In-House Use cards allow for the use of public computers and any database on the library network.
- Meeting rooms and Chromebooks may also be checked out on an In-House Use card and used within any JMRL branch.
Postcard Registration Cards
Both juvenile and adult patrons may have a postcard mailed to their residence if they do not have proof of address. A returned postcard would serve as their proof of residence.
- Patrons using a postcard registration may check out 1 item at the time of registration. Once the postcard has been returned and the address has been verified, the card will be a regular juvenile or adult card.
Patrons can use their new card immediately to check out physical materials, as well as use the digital library.
- Sign up online
- Virtual cards are only valid for 90 days. Patrons will be expected to come into a JMRL branch and get a physical card after 90 days.